Dental Hygiene / Preventive Care
Dental hygienists are important members of the health care team, working with dentists to provide preventive care.
Our hygienists at UT Dentists use their knowledge and clinical skills in these ways:
- patient screening, such as oral health assessment, review of health history, oral cancer screening, head and neck inspection, dental charting and taking vital signs;
- dental radiographs (X-rays);
- removing calculus and plaque (hard and soft deposits) from teeth;
- applying preventive materials, such as sealants and fluorides, to the teeth;
- teaching appropriate oral hygiene strategies, such as toothbrushing, flossing and good nutrition, to maintain oral health;
- counseling patients regarding good nutrition and its impact on oral health.